Saturday, January 03, 2009

Happy New Year

Happy New Year everyone! Here's hoping for a new and prosperous new year for all of us.

As part of the new year goal setting process, I have my look back to last year's goals and the look forward for the coming year. Last year wasn't too bad as far as goals go - of course, I didn't explicitly set too many. Some expectations may have been a little too high (what made me think I could get everything in the house cleaned, repainted, updated and redecorated as well as work out and do the grocery shopping all while my son was in half-day kindergarten?). Some expectations may have been a little too low (we should have taken long family vacations much sooner - we were all able to handle it and enjoy it).

Reading the year-in-review from some famous stitching bloggers, I have incorporated some of their successes into my goals for the year. For instance, I recognize that I have lost the "pep in my step" as I have gained pounds. My first goal is to adjust my lifestyle to incorporate healthier habits. Hopefully, in the process, I will lose 10 of the pounds that I have found in the last five years by June. More importantly, I hope to have more energy and feel better about myself and the world around me.

Another goal is to be even more involved in the education process for my children. We started off with lots of ambition and activities and they dwindled as the year progressed. My plan is to really cultivate their observation skills and to promote more contemplation of the world around them.

I, myself, plan to read more - more often and greater variety. I need to incorporate a greater variety of opinions, genre and topics into my everyday life.

I need to remember to enjoy every single day. I need to revel in the wonder of small children. I need to regain their excitement about the world around them.

Can you imagine what the world would be like if we all behaved like 5 year olds? Do you remember when a box of crayons, some construction paper, glue and a bunch of old buttons, pom poms, macaroni or glitter would have kept you happily occupied for hours? Do you remember really concentrating on the snowflakes falling outside your window? When is the last time you were interested by moving around the magnets on your refrigerator for an entire hour? Have you really watched ants go about their business? (I have boys) How about the birds outside your window? Or even the people outside your window? Can you be perfectly content, if not thrilled, with a bowl of mac n cheese (from a box, of course) and a clementine to carry you through the afternoon? Can you happily read the same book for twentieth time and just be wonderfully comfortable with that repetition? I have all of these things on my list of possible activities this year - and I am looking forward to all of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment